Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Joy of Service

Hola familia!

We had another great week!! I am just loving the mission. Im glad I still have so much time left but at the same time I realize that I have more time behind me than ahead of me. Im doing everything I can to enjoy every minute and just dedicate everything to the Lord.

We did a fun activity this week with the zone! In one of the areas of the sisters, a family that they are teaching had their house catch fire and they lost almost everything. So we went with the zone on thursday morning to help them clean the walls and the roof, the house was with before, but as you can see in the pictures, the smoke had just turned everything completely black. So we scrubbed the walls down with soap and brushes and brooms and got it as clean as we could so they could paint the house again. It was really fun with the whole zone, we were all soaking wet by the time we finished becuase they brought in one of those pressurized water guns and were constantly spraying the walls down. Halfway throught we started singing fun himns at the top of our lung, haha it was really fun and we all felt the joy of being able to serve a family in need.

So Elder Ortiz is great! I already knew him pretty good before but I have gotten to know him alot better. He has 19 months in the mission and has been a member his whole life. His parents were both converts when they were like 16 years old. His dad is a seventy, one of the area seventies here in Mexico. His parents actually came to talk to us with Elder Alonso a couple months ago and they are pretty powerful! They gave great talks and we all enjoyed their messages alot. His dad also served as a mision president a couple years ago in the Oaxaca mission. Elder ortiz is really really happy and likes to joke around alot but is really focused at the same time. He kinda reminds me of Elder Serrano. He has been a zone leader for a long time and really knows what hes doing. He has a way of making friends really fast with all of the members and investigators so they trust us as misionaries. He is always singing something and he gets along great with everybody in the mission. He lives in Guadalara Mexico and I am really greatful for the chance I have to be his companion. I really have been soooo blessed with the companions that I have had. Every one of them has been so great and helped me to learn so much about how to be a good misionary and how to help and love the people.

For the past couple weeks we have been teaching a young lady named Gizelle. She is 19 years old and had talked with the missionaries several times a couple months ago but it wasnt her moment yet. Her mom is a member who was inactive for a while but has come back to the church and is way cool. So we had the oportunity to help Gizelle join the church this week! She is really excited and her and her mom are going to help eachother a ton to move forward and stay faithful in the church. We baptized her on sunday after church so there were a ton of members there, the room was packed! I think its interesting sometimes how the missionaries sometimes teach a person but for some reason or another they dont end up joining the church, but then a couple months later something happens and the person has the desire to get baptized because they are more receptive to the spirit. We have found a bunch of people like that lately. I feel blessed to be a misionary in this time because I know the Lord is pouring out more of his spirit and pressuring his work and so we have been really blessed to find lots of people who are ready the join the church and change their lives. I read a scripture in Doctrine and covenants the other day that talks about how in the last days "the lamanites would flourish like a rose" or something like that. And I just feel really greatful and happy to be able to watch this personally with my own eyes. I am literally here in the land of the Lamanites and the Lord has given me the chance to be an instrument in his hands to help his children accept the gospel. Theres nothing quite like it!

I love you all so much and hope you have a great week!!! Just know that I couldnt be happier and Im working hard!!

Mucho amor,

Elder Eastmond

No comments:

Post a Comment